Our world and society is changing and this change is going to have an impact on your business.
Here are some interesting facts and figures from recent market research published by research firms Gartner, the Yankee Group, The Economist magazine, and other global studies:
- Smartphone shipments will out-number PC sales this year. About 350m desktop and laptop PCs are expected to ship this year compared to clost half a billion smartphones and tablets
- By 2020, expect about 10 billion mobile connected devices to ship
- Cost keep going down. A gigabyte of storage cost $200,000 in 1980. Today over 1000 gigabytes of storage cost around $100
- This rise of cloud computing where computing power resides between the Internet and the mobile device is contributing to the rapid growth of mobile devices
- Social networking is also contributing to massive growth of smartphones – over 800m people use Facebook everyday and if they are using their mobile devices they are likely to spend twice as much time on Facebook as PC users
- Free services such as Skype (170m active users), free applications and storage space is another key driver of this technological shift. Gartner Group estimates 18 billion apps have been dowloaded off the Apple store since its inception in 2008. The top 10 popular apps account for about 40+% of all downloads